Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Some people have comfort foods...

I have my sisters. Don't get me wrong I love to eat comfort foods too. I especially love eating them with my sisters. Especially because being with them is a very good reason to celebrate and go out to eat at our favorite places. Or to make a good treat and eat with them as we tell funny stories from our childhood, talk about all the recent gossip with the stars, or analyze in depth the way we are the way we are and why.

About two months ago my sweet sisters came to be with me at a time that I needed "comfort." Mostly they came to share with me the joy of having my second son, Owen. My older sister called me as I was starting labor and quickly got on a flight to come that day. And my younger sister was finishing up her mid-terms and headed out that day as well. I have to be the luckiest sister in the world to be sandwiched in between two amazing sisters. They are both way cooler than me and I don't even know how I got so lucky to have them. I am glad that Tamzen prayed and prayed for a little sister to come to her family and I was able to be her little sister. And Tenille is the little sister that I will always admire and be in awe of.

I have to be honest and say that it was not always bliss between all of us. There is a about a 7 year gap between Tamzen and I and a five year gap between Tenille and I. SO we didn't always see eye to eye on a lot of things. I remember the time Tamzen thought I broke her precious karaoke machine and she yelled at me and took my precious boom box as a payback. Which being the 12 year old I was I responded, "that boom box means more to me than your life, give it back, give it baaaack." Ugh, I can't believe I ever said that. Tamzen is truly a best friend to me. One I can count on for anything. She cheers me up when I am sad, make me laugh so hard I cry (or pee a little), is and amazing example, a super good listener, laughs at my jokes and funny stories, keeps me fashion savvy, takes care of me, is so good at everything she does and the list could go on and on. Just a couple of weeks ago when we were in Colorado. I was so sick, tired and feeling extremely down on my luck. Tamzen, Lee and Brody stayed up pretty late and talked me through it all. I feel like I will always be in debt to her for all that she has done for me. Luckily I have a little sister too, one that I hope I can be just as nice to.

Which brings me to Tenille, my favorite little sister. The coolest of all little sisters. We too had our differences. Like when she would borrow my clothes and I wouldn't see them for a loooong time. And I would raid her room and find them in her closet. Or she would open my new package of mechanical pencils and use them first. Well...now Tenille is living at my house in between semesters at BYU-I. (I also lived at Tamzen's house in between semesters.) And I can borrow all of her clothing which is much cuter and trendier than mine. Her living here this semester is such a blessing to me. She has this aura about her, that is full of life, bright, happy and vivacious. Which is much needed for a new mom that is sleep deprived and tired. She has been a gigantic help with so much already. I can see why mom and dad wanted to keep her in Chicago with them. I look forward to the next few months as we grow even closer together. We have always been close, but I moved away when Tenille was still a young girl. Now she has grown into a young woman who can do whatever she puts her mind too, is so creative, talented, beautiful and amazing. I have some things to learn from her, that I'm sure will help me in this life.

I love my sisters so much, they are simply the best!

I wish I had a recent picture of us all together, that's something we need to do the next time we all are together.
Tate

5 comments:

Cari said...

Can I be a sister too? What a cute post. I have to say--rather candidly that I MISS YOU! :) Its not the same as it used to be, and with us both dealing with sick kiddos... its real rough. Especially when I enjoy talking with you and chilling out with ya as much as I do. I look out my window and wish we could just be all well, so that the kids can play and we can talk! :) Hope all is well with you guys, two doors down .... :) We will have to have an escape sometime... sound good?

sara,mike,rhett,and gage said...

You're so lucky to have sisters! It's posts like these that make me wish I had a sister.

The Gearharts said...

Sisters are great...you guys are all the best! Love ya.

Marissa said...

Sometimes I wanna sister.

I think all 3 of the Gearhart girls (OK, I know that 2 of you have different last names now) are awesome. You are great sisters, but you are also great cousins :)

Nikki said...

I wish I was a sister of yours! What a sweet family you have. I can't wait to see you tomorrow