Monday, September 22, 2008

Good Old Fashioned Family Fun




So,


This Saturday we decided to go up the Farmington Canyon for a campfire. Jason and I have been craving camping and hiking and all that fun stuff. Well actually Jason more than me. But for obvious reason's I have been putting it off. I decided that we don't have anymore time to try to do some camping and such before it gets too cold.


Jason packed up the car and all the gear. We bought things to roast on the fire and set out. There was a slight drizzle going on outside on and off most of the day. But we thought we would try our luck. I thought we would drive for a few minutes and then pull into a nice campground. Little did I know we were actually going to drive up the mountain. A one way, barley enough room for your car, 30 min. drive of insanity. I was so nervous. At one point I was asked, "how, much longer, I didn't know we were going to drive up the actual mountain!" I don't know why I was such a nervous wreck. I used to be such brave adventerous,thrill seeker. All I was thinking was, one wrong move and my worst nightmare of flying and then rolling down a cliff with my family could come true. Maybe I have some extra maternal instinct to protect right now. I don't know but it was scary.


However, when we got to the top and pulled into the campground it was pretty cool. Gavin went to look for dry wood with his dad, and loved it. He even tried to help the fire get going. He had his camping chair and was all set to roast some mallow's.


We were there for about 10 minutes before it started to down poor. We knew the already damp wood would not make it. So we headed back down the scary drive. At the bottom of the canyon there is a duck pond and we stopped to feed the ducks. Just as we jumped in the car to head home another down pour began. I love rainstorms, just as long as I am in a dry place watching it. So much for our attempt to have some good old fashioned family fun.





4 comments:

sara,mike,rhett,and gage said...

Well it looked like fun despite the drive up. I'm craving to get away somewhere. Camping what ever. It would be nice if Rhett was that cooperative. It would make life that much easier!

Teague & Jakelle said...

Aw! I'm jealous...even though it was too rainy it still looked like fun. We miss you guys so much! Gavin's so cute all bundled up!

Tamzen Fleming said...

Looks like you still had fun. Gavin's so cute crouched around the campfire!

stephanielynn said...

I love how Gavin was copying his dad. Cute!