Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Our Friend Micheal

We have a little friend in our neighborhood. His name is Micheal and he is about six. We met on a cool evening and he became fast pals with Gavin. He likes to entertain Gavin, push him in the swings and go down the slides with him. It is pretty cute. Gavin loves older kids so it's kinda nice to have Micheal out at the park so often.
One late summer evening we were all outside. Jason brought out some Watermelon and we shared it with Micheal. I think that was the night he bonded with us. Since then he has sold me on a School Fundraiser and comes over often to ask if Gavin can play. There is only one tiny problem. He wants to come in and play in our house. Which he has and that's fine with us he is a nice kid. But it made me nervous, because I have never met his mom or siblings or anything. He is always outside alone for long amounts of time. He even gave me his mom's # the night he came in to play. I called her to tell her who I was and where Micheal was and that we would like to meet her. If I was his mom I would want to know the people's house he was at. I haven't heard back from her since. So tonight when he asked to come in and play I said that we wanted to play outside. He is so nice I don't want him to feel rejected.
He took off his shoes to play and only had on one sock. I asked him why he had only one sock and he said the other was at home. Oh, o.k. that makes sense. So Gavin had to take of his shoes just like him to play. The kid who freaks out if a wood chip gets in his shoe was barefoot running around without a care. I hope he is not so easily influenced later on.

1 comment:

Tamzen Fleming said...

We had a couple of little neighbor girls like that in H.R. They would come over all the time and hang out, they would go to the park with us and swimming too. I couldn't believe that their mom wasn't more concerned that they were spending so much time with people she didn't know. I did feel like their house wasn't always the happiest place, and I'm glad that they felt like our home was an okay place to be!